Labor Safety and Hygiene
Human Capital Management
ROHM Group has established policies and promotes activities related to health and safety. We have acquired OHSAS 18001 certification – an international occupational health and safety management standard – and is engaged in enhancing the precision of related activities.
Safety and Hygiene Policies
Recognizing that safety and health is one of the most important issues in all business activities, we are taking a proactive approach in creating safe and comfortable working environment, in maintaining and enhancing the physical and mental well being, in adherence with the spirit of CSR.
- We abide by the safety and health-related laws, other requirements and internal regulations.
- We conduct risk assessments to identify the hazards and the magnitude of risks in the workplace, for which countermeasures to reduce the risk levels are implemented, thereby preventing occupational accidents.
- We exert efforts to increase the awareness concerning safety and health by providing scheduled education, training, etc., and strive to prevent injuries, mental illnesses by creating comfortable workplaces through voluntary activities.
- We establish and execute safety and health objectives and implementation plans for continual improvement of issues and strive for further enhancement through periodic reviews.
To ensure the safety of all employees, enhance and maintain their health, and promote comfortable working environments, various activities based on ROHM's health and safety policies are being implemented by the following bodies under the Central Safety and Hygiene Committee.
The Committee is headed by the Safety and Hygiene executive manager, who is assigned by the director.
Occupational Health and Safety Management System
The ROHM Group has production bases in various locations around the world and has acquired the international standard OHSAS 18001 certification to secure the safe operation of plants and the safety of employees. Based on this system, ROHM conducts risk assessments for the reduction and management of health and safety risks and the continuing management of compliance with laws and regulations.
Occupational Incidence Rate and Severity
In 2018, the reported occupational incidence rate and severity rate of ROHM Group has substantially reduced from the average rate among all industries and within the industry of manufacturing of electrical machinery, equipment and supplies.
From now on, ROHM is continuing to work on reducing occupational incidences and aiming to create a safer and more comfortable workplace for employees.
- Incidence Rate
- Severity Rate
- Incidence Rate (Frequency of injury Occurrence) = Number of Casualties from Work-Related Injuries ÷ Total Labor Time × 1,000,000
- Severity Rate (Severity of Disaster) = Total Number of Work Days Lost ÷ Total Labor Time × 1,000
Approach to Safety
We aim to achieve a safe and comfortable working environment for our employees, carry out risk assessments based on the OHSAS 18001 standard and undertake the improvement of occupational health and safety at the workplace.
Having workers competent in health and safety use, manage and implement correct procedures for appropriate facilities, machinery, equipment and operations is fundamental to safety. To ensure these fundamentals, ROHM carries out patrols to identify and correct dangerous spots in the workplace as well as unsafe operations.
|Workplace patrol about health and safety（※1）||Workplace risk assessment by persons competent in health and safety||Once a month|
|Patrol by occupational health physician（※2）||Checks to confirm the appropriate use and management of production equipment, chemical agents, fire extinguishing machinery and equipment, and other facilities||At least once a month|
|Patrol by special committee||Checks to confirm health risks at the workplace as seen from the perspective of industrial physicians||At least once a month|
※1、※2･･･Each division has a person appointed to be in charge of health and safety. They participate in internal patrols each time to ensure that employees will share a common perception of safety.
Implementation of Safety Round Tables
Employee awareness and the safety level of workplaces improve by sharing information related to accidents and safety internally. At ROHM, workplace representatives hold roundtable discussions as a small group activity. They exchange information and listen to others on issues faced on site. Based on the opinions expressed at these roundtables, collections of close calls and minor incidents that have been experienced on site as well as collections of dangerous practices are created. They are shared within the company and serve as part of safety awareness-building activities.
Initiatives for 5S
A workplace environment where there are no unneeded items found, and where “needed items” can be found at the “needed location” “when needed” leads to efficiency. At the same time, it can be said to be a safe workplace. ROHM considers the 5S methodology (sort, set in order, shine, standardize and sustain) to be the basics of a workplace environment and promotes thoroughgoing 5S at its workplaces.
Approach to Health
ROHM is implementing various measures to ensure that all of the employees can maintain and improve their physical and mental health.
Measures to Prevent Lifestyle-related Diseases
The achievement of a 100% participation in regular health checks is natural for ROHM and we also implement measures to prevent lifestyle-related diseases based on the results of those health checks. This includes the implementation of health guidance for an expanded range of employees that includes those who are under 40 years old and not subject to the official "Specific Health Guidance." The follow-up on the results of the health checks is also strengthened for employees who have particular observations in their results. This includes the industrial physician and health staff recommending examinations at medical institutions and participation in health and exercise seminars.
≪Changes in Those Who Received Health Guidance for Metabolic Syndrome in FY2017(35-39 Years)≫
※Of those employees who received health guidance, employees who were diagnosed as being pre-metabolic syndrome decreased by 39% in FY2018 as a result of undergoing the health guidance.
ROHM believes that it is important that employees get exercise habit to prevent lifestyle-related diseases and work healthy. There, ROHM has set up a Health-Check Corner where employees can use various health-check devices free of charge. It includes a vascular age meter and the latest InBody model (body composition analyzer). Employees can check their body fat ratio, muscle mass and total body water along with their basal metabolism, receive nutritional assessment, find out their muscle mass by body part, and check other items. This helps raise employee awareness of their own health.
Infection Control Measures
As a measure to control infections, ROHM pays for influenza vaccinations within the company for all those who request it and around 90% of all the employees receive the vaccination. Furthermore, for employees being posted overseas and their families, ROHM provides the travel vaccinations recommended by the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare in accordance with the conditions at the destination concerned.
Measures for Mental Health
ROHM has established a clinic inside the company which has a permanently stationed doctor and public health nurse. The employees can use the clinic whenever they wish and a system has been prepared to provide consultation and interviews on mental health.
In addition, if an employee has been absent from work due to mental problems, then the industrial doctor and staff responsible cooperate to provide support in a "return to work program" to make it possible for the employee to make a smooth return to the workplace. Efforts are also made for prevention through lectures on mental health, relaxation seminars and the implementation of stress checks.
Other Health Initiatives
- Female Employee Health Support
- From FY2019, ROHM has included the screening for cervical and breast cancers as part of the regular health checkups of working-age women (20s to 50s). This is based on the guidance of the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, and the screenings are implemented as measures against female-specific cancer. With this, the cancer screening rate of eligible women rose significantly from 58% in FY2018 to 95% in FY2019.
- Total Ban on Smoking in the Office
- ROHM has been carrying out anti-smoking activities as part of the advancement of the good health of employees and the creation of comfortable workplaces. There has been a total ban on smoking in place throughout the company since 2009 to promote the health of employees and persons of affiliated companies.
- ROHM was Selected as a ”White 500 Company 2019” Two Tears in a Row
- On February 21, 2019, ROHM Co., Ltd. was recognized two years in a row, as the "White 500", a group of large companies showing outstanding health and productivity management, jointly selected by the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) and Nippon Kenko Kaigi.Introduced in 2017, this White 500, the Certified Health and Management Organization Recognition Program, recognizes both large companies and small- and medium-sized enterprises for outstanding efforts in health and productivity management, by evaluating company's engagement with regional health problems and with health-building program recommended by Nippon Kenko Kaigi.Considering health to be one of the highest priorities, ROHM will continue to examine effective methods to improve all employee's well-being and work-life balance.
- Registration as a Promotion Partner Company in the MHLW Cancer Countermeasure Promotion Company Action
- In July 2019, ROHM was registered as a promotion partner company in the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare’s Cancer Countermeasure Promotion Company Action initiative.
The early detection and treatment of cancer is important to making it possible for employees to remain healthy and continue working. Going forward, we will provide opportunities for our employees to obtain correct knowledge related to cancer through internal awareness building activities, such as internal seminars and e-learning.
Furthermore, to enable our employees to continue working even if they should develop cancer, ROHM will also engage in the development of a support system that will make it possible for employees to work while undergoing treatment.