Labor Safety and Hygiene
Human Capital Management
Our Basic Policy
ROHM Group believes that it is important to protect the lives and human rights of employees by realizing a workplace where all employees and stakeholders involved in the work can work safely and physically and mentally. In addition, ensuring a safe, safe and hygienic workplace is indispensable for creating an environment in which each employee is rewarding and can make the most of their abilities.
ROHM Group operates an occupational health and safety management system with the aim of creating a safe and healthy workplace. Based on the following health and safety policies, we set goals and manage safety and health issues related to ROHM Group's business activities, and make group-wide efforts for continuous improvement.
Safety and Hygiene Policies
Occupational Health & Safety Policy
In accordance with the CSR policy, ROHM Group consider safety and health the top priority in our business activities, thereby proactively work to comfortable work environment without worries as well as preserve and promote our physical and mental health.
- We comply with health and safety laws and their related regulations, other requirements, and our company’s rules.
- We prevent occupational accidents by implementing managerial measures based on the identification of hazard sources in our workplace and their severity via risk assessment.
- We pursue highly-ranked awareness by systematic education, training, and other things concerning health and safety. Additionally we strive to prevent injuries, physical and mental illnesses by promoting the creation of a comfortable workplace through energized, voluntary activities.
- We design and operate the occupational health and safety management system through consultation with our workers and their involvement in decision-making.
- We carry out continuous improvement activities with full participation by setting the health and safety objectives and the action plan that are supported with adequate resources.
Health and Safety Promotional Structure
ROHM Group Health and Safety Management Promotional Structure
ROHM Group has production bases around the world. We operate a management system based on ISO45001 to ensure the safe operation of our factories and the safety of our employees.
Based on this system, in order to reduce and manage safety and health risks, we are making efforts to achieve the safety and health goals set by ROHM Group, including legal compliance.
- ※Overseas ROHM Group is as follows:
- ・ROHM KOREA･･･ROHM KOREA Corporation
- ・REPI･･･ROHM Electronics Philippines, Inc.
- ・RIST･･･ROHM Integrated Systems (Thailand) Co., Ltd.
- ・RSC･･･ROHM Semiconductor (China) Co., Ltd.
- ・REDA･･･ROHM Electronics Dailian Co., Ltd.
- ・RWEM･･･ROHM-Wako Electronics (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd.
- ・RMT･･･ROHM Mechatech (Thailand) Co., Ltd.
ROHM Health and Safety Management Promotional Structure
To ensure the safety of all employees, enhance and maintain their health, and promote comfortable working environments, various activities based on ROHM's health and safety policies are being implemented by the following bodies under the Central Safety and Hygiene Committee.
The Committee is headed by the Safety and Hygiene executive manager, who is assigned by the corporate officer.
Occupational Incidence Rate and Severity
In 2019, the reported occupational incidence rate and severity rate of domestic ROHM Group are 0%, and we have been able to achieve zero occupational accidents. From now on, ROHM is continuing to work toward zero occupational accidents and work to create a safe and comfortable work environment for all employees.
- Incidence Rate
- Severity Rate
- Incidence Rate (Frequency of injury Occurrence) = Number of Casualties from Work-Related Injuries ÷ Total Labor Time × 1,000,000
- Severity Rate (Severity of Disaster) = Total Number of Work Days Lost ÷ Total Labor Time × 1,000
Approach to Safety
ROHM Group aims to achieve a safe and comfortable workplace for not only our employees but also everyone involved in business activities.
To achieve this, we have been operating a management system based on ISO45001 and have been working to manage and reduce the identified priority issues and risks in terms of health and safety.
Having workers competent in health and safety use, manage and implement correct procedures for appropriate facilities, machinery, equipment and operations is fundamental to safety. To ensure these fundamentals, ROHM carries out patrols to identify and correct dangerous spots in the workplace as well as unsafe operations.
In addition, by actively enrolling young employees in patrols, we have the opportunity to gain the skills to detect dangers and near-miss incidents in our workplace.
|Workplace patrol about health and safety（※）||Workplace risk assessment by persons competent in health and safety||At least once a month|
|Patrol by occupational health physician（※）||Checks to confirm the appropriate use and management of production equipment, chemical agents, fire extinguishing machinery and equipment, and other facilities||At least once a month|
|Patrol by special committee||Checks to confirm health risks at the workplace as seen from the perspective of industrial physicians||At least once a month|
※Each division has a person appointed to be in charge of health and safety. They participate in internal patrols each time to ensure that employees will share a common perception of safety.
Implementation of Safety Round Tables
Employee awareness and the safety level of workplaces improve by sharing information related to accidents and safety internally. At ROHM, workplace representatives hold roundtable discussions as a small group activity. They exchange information and listen to others on issues faced on site.
Due to the difference in the number of years of own experience, young employees up to the third year after joining the company, who are at a higher risk of occupational accidents than veteran employees, can participate in this round-table discussion to learn the correct work that does not cause danger points, accidents or disasters. It can also help improve safety awareness in our workplaces.
In addition, based on the opinions expressed at these roundtables, collections of close calls and minor incidents that have been experienced on site as well as collections of dangerous practices are created. They are shared within the company and serve as part of safety awareness-building activities.
Initiatives for 5S
A workplace environment where there are no unneeded items found, and where “needed items” can be found at the “needed location” “when needed” leads to efficiency. At the same time, it can be said to be a safe workplace. ROHM considers the *5S methodology to be the basics of a workplace environment. So starting with top management, we have been promoting thorough implementation of 5S at all workplaces in domestic and overseas bases.
*5S means “sorting”, “setting-in-order”, “shining”, “standardizing” and “sustaining the discipline”.
Health and Safety Activities with Contractors
We must protect the safety of not only our employees but also our contractors in our business activities, and maintain a safe and comfortable workplace environment for them. ROHM has been taking the following actions in cooperation with contractors who work on our premises.
- Regularly conduct safety and health patrols, industrial physician patrols, and site manager patrols.
- Conduct fire extinguisher drills, earthquake evacuation drills, night evacuation drills for chemical and gas leaks.
- Implemented *KYT, 5S activities, small group activities and proposal activities to improve a safe workplace.
*“KYT” is an acronym for “Kiken Yochi Training” in Japanese and means hazard prediction training. And this is a method to improve the ability to detect and solve risk factors such as danger and harm in work.
* In order to promote improvement activities, we have established an award system to award contractors for outstanding activities.
Approach to Health
ROHM is implementing various measures to ensure that all of the employees can maintain and improve their physical and mental health.
Measures to Prevent Lifestyle-related Diseases
The achievement of a 100% participation in regular health checks is natural for ROHM and we also implement measures to prevent lifestyle-related diseases based on the results of those health checks. This includes the implementation of health guidance for an expanded range of employees that includes those who are under 40 years old and not subject to the official "Specific Health Guidance." The follow-up on the results of the health checks is also strengthened for employees who have particular observations in their results. This includes the industrial physician and health staff recommending examinations at medical institutions and participation in health and exercise seminars.
In addition, ROHM also have offered professional counseling opportunities to those who want it. They can get direct advice from experts about how to exercise and improve their eating habits.
≪Changes in Those Who Received Health Guidance for Metabolic Syndrome (age:35-39)≫
※Of those employees who received health guidance, employees who were diagnosed as being pre-metabolic syndrome decreased by 32% in FY2019 as a result of undergoing the health guidance.
ROHM believes that it is important that employees get exercise habit to prevent lifestyle-related diseases and work healthy. There, ROHM has set up a Health-Check Corner where employees can use various health-check devices and Fitness equipment free of charge. It includes a vascular age meter and the latest InBody model (body composition analyzer), blood pressure monitor and blood vessel age measuring instrument. ROHM regularly uses these devices to measure the health of employees. ROHM employees can also check their own health status at any time, including body fat percentage, muscle mass, and body water content, as well as basic metabolism, nutritional evaluation, and muscle mass by region.
Infection Control Measures
As a measure to control infections, ROHM pays for influenza vaccinations within the company for all those who request it and around 90% of all the employees receive the vaccination. Furthermore, for employees being posted overseas and their families, ROHM provides the travel vaccinations recommended by the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare in accordance with the conditions at the destination concerned.
In FY2019, we carried out rubella antibody check and vaccination for employees aged 57 and over at full cost (implementation rate 100%). In fiscal 2020, we will continue to vaccinate all employees aged 39 to 56.
Measures for Mental Health
ROHM has established a clinic inside the company which has a permanently stationed doctor and public health nurse. The employees can use the clinic whenever they wish and a system has been prepared to provide consultation and interviews on mental health.
In addition, if an employee has been absent from work due to mental problems, then the industrial doctor and staff responsible cooperate to provide support in a "return to work program" to make it possible for the employee to make a smooth return to the workplace. Efforts are also made for prevention through lectures on mental health, relaxation seminars and the implementation of stress checks.
Other Health Initiatives
- Female Employee Health Support
- From FY2019, ROHM has included the screening for cervical and breast cancers as part of the regular health checkups of working-age women (20s to 50s). This is based on the guidance of the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, and the screenings are implemented as measures against female-specific cancer. With this, the cancer screening rate of eligible women rose significantly from 58% in FY2018 to 95% in FY2019.
- Total Ban on Smoking in the Office
- ROHM has been carrying out anti-smoking activities as part of the advancement of the good health of employees and the creation of comfortable workplaces. There has been a total ban on smoking in place throughout the companies in domestic ROHM Group since 2009 to promote the health of employees and persons of affiliated companies.
- ROHM was Selected as a ”White 500 Company 2020” Two Tears in a Row
- On February 2018, ROHM Co., Ltd. was recognized three years in a row, as the “White 500 Company(top 500 companies are selected)”, a group of large companies showing outstanding health and productivity management, jointly selected by the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) and Nippon Kenko Kaigi.Introduced in 2017, this White 500, the Certified Health and Management Organization Recognition Program, recognizes both large companies and small- and medium-sized enterprises for outstanding efforts in health and productivity management, by evaluating company's engagement with regional health problems and with health-building program recommended by Nippon Kenko Kaigi.Considering health to be one of the highest priorities, ROHM will continue to examine effective methods to improve all employee's well-being and work-life balance.
- Registration as a Promotion Partner Company in the MHLW Cancer Countermeasure Promotion Company Action
- In July 2019, ROHM was registered as a promotion partner company in the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare’s Cancer Countermeasure Promotion Company Action initiative.
The early detection and treatment of cancer is important to making it possible for employees to remain healthy and continue working. Going forward, we will provide opportunities for our employees to obtain correct knowledge related to cancer through internal awareness building activities, such as internal seminars and e-learning.
Furthermore, to enable our employees to continue working even if they should develop cancer, ROHM will also engage in the development of a support system that will make it possible for employees to work while undergoing treatment.