Creating a Rewarding Workplace
Human Capital Management
Our Basic Policy
ROHM believes that the spread and promotion of work-life integration – through which a person tries to enrich both their professional and personal lives – enhances employee’s sense of happiness and leads to the improved productivity and growth of the company. To enable this, there is a need to shed the conventional notion that considers long working hours to be synonymous industriousness. Emphasis must now be placed on achieving results within designated working hours.
Furthermore, the creation of an environment in which each employee can work flexibly and healthily according to their lifestyle, conditions and values is also an important issue for enhancing the work performance of employees.
In order to efficiently and effectively produce results in their respective environments, in addition to each employee’s improvement of their own operations, it is also important to create and improve the working environment for increasing employee productivity on an organizational and companywide level.
ROHM Group is addressing such issues through managing section and company-wide, cross-departmental committees: the Work-style Reform Committee, Advisory Committee on ‘Decent Work’ and the Improvement Proposal Committee.
Initiatives Aimed at Improving Labor Productivity
At ROHM, the Work-Style Reform Committee and the Advisory Committee on ‘Decent Work’ are promoting initiatives for the “improvement of labor productivity” to powerfully implement the creation and establishment of rewarding workplace environments in which employees can reach their full their individual potential. The Work-Style Reform Committee handles the expansion of output and the Advisory Committee on ‘Decent Work’ handles the reduction of input as the two committees work together in their activities. Furthermore, both committees appoint committee members from a variety of divisions to enable the identification of problems faced in each workplace along with problems faced across the company, while also enabling consultation and initiatives to make improvements and implement solutions from a variety of perspectives.
Advisory Committee on 'Decent Work'
The Advisory Committee on ‘Decent Work’ oversees the creation and operation of labor ethics management systems, performing ongoing improvements and management of the working environment according to policies with the aim of developing a friendly workplace culture.
In recent years, it has implemented a variety of initiatives to achieve numerical targets on working hours and the rate of acquisition of paid vacations for the “improvement of labor productivity” which has emerged as an issue as a result of risk assessment.
- 1）Operation of labor ethics management system
- Risk assessment
Understanding of the current labor ethics law’s requirement
Conducting e-learning on labor ethics for all employees
Management Review etc.
- 2）Addressing issues related to working hours management
*In November 2019, an audit on the labor ethics management system was conducted by a customer over two days, and it was found that PDCA was being implemented appropriately.
Fiscal 2019 Activity Results
- Education and training on working hours and revision of the Labor Standards Law.
- Setting and promoting no overtime day.
- Establishment of a paid-vacation promotion day.
- Recommended effective use of paid-vacation in hours.
- Setting a target for the paid leave acquisition rate (The paid leave acquisition rate was 81.9% in FY2019, exceeding the FY2019 target of 75.0%.)
Work-style Reform Committee
The Work-Style Reform Committee aims to achieve more than reducing overtime work. To carry out work-style reform with an emphasis on enhancing added value (output), the Committee forms 6 sub-committees .
Each Working Group picks up comments from the workplaces they oversee and shares them with the entire committee, which considers and implements measures aimed at the improvement of labor productivity based on an understanding of actual conditions and issues.
FY2019 Implementation Items
- Establishment of career paths for specialists
⇒ A Specialist System was introduced as a position granted to personnel with a high degree of specialization
- Establishment of career paths for female employees
⇒ A Course Change System was introduced to enable a change from general staff to generalists with respect for the career of the individual
- Introduction of shared office
- Join the Telework Days*
- Conduct questionnaires for all employees and collect their needs
*The above efforts are shared through the company intranet and company news app.
A national movement led by the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare to implement telework with the objectives of alleviating traffic congestion during the Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games, and establishing telework nationwide.
In future, focus will be placed on establishing IT infrastructure for eliminating all waste in operations, “operational process reform” for improving productivity, “systemic reform” for realizing flexible work styles such as the promotion of telework, and “organizational culture and awareness reform” through collection and communication of the opinions of employees.
Systems Leading to Work-Style Reform and State of Use
ROHM has promoted work-style reforms and introduced various systems enabling flexible work according to the lifestyle and life stage of each employee.
Flexible work (staggered hours) program
Improvement of productivity
Employees can vary their start and finish times depending on the circumstances of their work. 17 patterns of working hours will be available. Start times can be changed in 15-minute increments between 6:15 and 10:15 (mandatory working hours: 8 hours).
292 times in total
6797 times in total
|Work interval program||Prevent overworking to maintain employees health||Rest time is ensured by creating an interval of at least 10 hours between finish time and start time the following day, to prevent health problems in employees.||14 times in total||19 times in total|
|Telecommuting (work from home) program||Diverse work style support||People for whom it has been deemed difficult to commute to work every day will be able to work from home for a certain set maximum period.||1 person||-|
|Relocation of work place programs||Securing human resources||In cases where an employee is forced to relocate their home for reasons such as their spouse being transferred, marriage, childcare or to provide nursing care to a family member, a change of their place of work for personal reasons is recognized.||1 person||7 person|
|Rejoining program for retired employee||In cases where an employee is forced to resign from their job due to their spouse being transferred, marriage, childcare or to provide nursing care to a family member, the employee is granted the right to rejoin the company within five years of leaving.||4 person applied
0 person actually used
|8 person applied
1 person actually used
|Career course transition system||Success of Human resources||A system to expand the range of duties and promote the course transition of employees who aim to further their career development.||-(*)||24 person|
|Acquisition of paid vacations in hours||Improving working environment||To enable diverse work styles, employees can take paid leave in units of one hour up to 5 days per year.||-(*)||2713 times in total|
- ∗This program has been introduced in Augasut 2019.
Going forward, we will develop and spread the use of various systems and aim to achieve a working environment that enable employees to work with energy.
Advocating the Acquisition of Paid Vacations
We are advocating the acquisition of paid vacations through the following initiatives to help employees maintain good health or refresh their body and mind.
Furthermore, a system of paid leave in units of one hour was introduced in 2019 to enable employees to work more flexibly.
- [Implemented Contents]
- Training is implemented to boost their awareness and understanding of rules related to paid vacations.
- Good examples for the promotion of the acquisition of paid vacations are collected through monthly divisional patrols, and the company-wide development of the content of good examples is implemented.
- Establishment of annual paid vacations (4 days a year)
- Establishment of a paid-vacation promotion day.
- Establishment of paid vacation in hours.
The paid vacation acquisition rate was 81.9% in FY2019, exceeding the FY2019 target of 75.0%.
ROHM Presidential Award
ROHM Presidential Award ceremony is held every year at ROHM to present awards to employees who have contributed positively to the company based on our corporate goals and philosophy.
The awards are presented for employees' annual contribution to developing new technologies and new products, as well as for their contribution to local and regional communities and our society in general. The awards help to improve the motivation of employees. Employees from group companies are also awarded the same prizes, and this has been a major event for the entire ROHM Group of companies.
Approach to Harassment Prevention
As part of initiatives to create workplaces where employees can work energetically in good health, harassment prevention training by the general counsel is implemented toward divisional heads, including board members.
- ※Content of training: Explanations are provided based on changes in societal demand and using concrete case examples. The objective is to prevent the occurrence of any type of harassment, including sexual harassment, power harassment and maternity harassment.
Similar harassment prevention training, which will be continued, is also implemented as part of the training provided when an employee is promoted to a new position.
The Specialist System
ROHM has newly established a system for certifying specialized personnel (careers increasing specialization without having subordinates) who are recognized as being particularly highly specialized inside and outside the company as “Specialists.” (29 people were appointed as Specialists in FY2019 when the system was newly established.)
Clearly defining the career path as a leader in one’s field to recognize one’s role and expectations leads to motivation to obtain greater knowledge and skill. Through this initiative, ROHM aims for further growth of employees and the company by developing highly specialized personnel.
Goals of the Specialist System
- Indication of an image of growth for specialized personnel and planned development of highly specialized personnel when requiring each employee to improve and exhibit specialized skills that could become a source of competitiveness in ROHM’s management and business strategy.
- Expanding opportunities to actively participate and contributing to the personal development of employees whose strength is contributing to the company through advanced specialization.
- Quickly recognizing the path suitable for one’s aptitude, and increasing motivation for conscious and proactive self-improvement of each individual.
Communication with Employee
Bidirectional communication between the company and employees is essential for realizing a workplace environment in which employees supporting the growth of ROHM Group can work vibrantly, leading to the development of a better corporate culture.
Through the following initiatives, ROHM collects the views of employees, identifies management issues in the working environment that need to be addressed for the growth of the company and employees, and links these to further improvements and solutions.
An Employee Engagement Survey
An employee engagement survey is carried out on a regular basis. It is utilized as a communication tool for identifying issues related to employee awareness in relation to work, understanding circumstances at the workplace, and clarifying challenges for the development of a workplace where employees can feel a rewarding sense of satisfaction, and for considering countermeasures.
|Number of Targeted||Number of Answers||Answer Rate|
- The results of the FY2017 survey showed that “a feeling of rewarding satisfaction toward work” was the factor that had the biggest impact on improving the satisfaction level of employees. This was a company-wide trend. Based on this result, ROHM will be rolling out various efforts to further boost the satisfaction level of employees. They include initiatives to enhance management capabilities, to promote work-style reform, to improve the personnel system and to create a forum for collecting the opinions of employees.
- In FY2018, the Work-Style Reform Project and the Project to Promote the Participation of Women – being implemented as company-wide projects for some time – were integrated, and the Work-Style Reform Committee was launched. We are further accelerating the company-wide promotion of work-style reform and are addressing the improvement of productivity.
Stress Check Program
It has been said in recent years that more than 50 percent of working adults feel strong anxiety, worries or stress in relation to work or office life. ROHM implements stress checks to understand the stress level of employees and encourage employee awareness of their own stress levels as well as to prevent mental and physical disorders from manifesting.
|Number of Targeted||Number of Answers||Answer Rate|
Since 2018, feedback of the response results has been provided to the managers of each department in the companywide implementation of a system utilizing stress checks for creating a better workplace environment.
Furthermore, in response to recent changes in the external environment, measures such as the establishment of the necessary IT environments and the introduction of various tools will continue to be implemented to realize more flexible and productive work styles.
Improvement Proposal Campaign
The Improvement Proposal Committee is a committee promoting operational improvements for each employee for the purpose of increasing work efficiency, reducing costs and raising awareness of improvement among employees. A campaign to suggest improvements is held around November each year. In addition to proposing operational improvements to individuals, it also accepts proposals for improvements of the company’s working environment. The content of these proposals is disseminated to related divisions, and reflected in various measures aimed at improving the environment.
|Total Number of Improvement Proposal||347||639||709||957|